Wednesday 15 January 2014

2014-An Adventure Awaits

Incredible. This is a word that nearly describes how I am feeling at this very moment. Incredible, almost the right word, but perhaps not grandious enough.
Let's start right and proper, let's start at the beginning, the moment I found my flare for adventure... Life in general actually.
I felt trapped, and I was depressed. And from the moment I met this person, I learned about the meaning of happiness, of love, of laughter, and of life. His name was Eric. Now, those of you who know me, know exactly what this person meant to me. You will know that he, first of all, taught me to not sweat the small things ( which at times I have been guilty of forgetting), laugh, love, live. However, as sad as it may seem, it took the passing of Eric, for all he taught me to really take hold. The moment I heard the horrible news, was the exact moment I took hold of my own happiness, the moment I took it back from the hands of others. This was the moment I chose to live... In my own way. This was to travel, and to find myself outside of my comfort zone. Travel to southeast Asia.
That trip, the trip with so many mishaps, and trial and tribulations, taught me so much about who I am, who I can be, what I am capable of, and all I would love to accomplish in my life. It was that trip that I allowed myself to open up, meet some of the most amazing, incredible people from all over the world, and learn as much as I could.
Now, please don't take all of this the wrong way. I don't not wish this to appear as a sob story (although the passing of Eric is not something I find okay), I only hope you can see where I am coming from, see that one moment can change your entire perspective on how you react to the world.

Now, onto my newest adventure... NICARAGUA!!!
Thomas, (my love, my partner in fun, my best friend), and I arrived on the 10th of January. A mere four days ago, well there days ago really. We arrived late in the evening, walking out of the cold airplane to a humid, hot airport. Feeling bombarded by taxi driver, we both slipped into the washrooms to switch our documents and money over to our hidden spots, and took our first steps in Nicaragua. Ricardo, our taxi driver, at first seemed like he had something up his sleeve. We stopped at two gas stations on the way, the first one he tried to get diesel, but didn't have any money for it, on the way to the next one a block away, he explained to us his need for cash. He told us that his mother was in the hospital, and he hadn't worked for a few days, so he had no money to get gas. Even though this could have been an 'elaborate truth' (as I like to call a lie), I believe in the inherent goodness of people, and so will believe this story. Thomas gave him the $5 he wanted, and he cut the price of the taxi accordingly. Ricardo, I believe only wished to tell us about his country he was proud of. He was an information bucket, full of goodies. What a treat!
Well, here is my first send off, of my new blog. I am really treading in unknown waters here. So I will leave you with this...
"There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open up to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance. We need to learn to love ourselves first, in all our glory and our imperfections. If we cannot love ourselves, we cannot fully open to our ability to love others or our potential to create. Evolution and all hopes for a better world rest in the fearlessness and open-hearted vision of people who embrace life." -John Lennon

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging Malia, safe journey, have a fun filled adventure with Thomas!

    ReplyDelete